Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Saving Money on Books

This original version of this post was published on February 20, 2009.

If you've visited here for long, you know that we are a family that loves to read. We could easily spend a great deal of money adding to our collection, but I have found ways for us to enjoy books without breaking the bank.

1) Use the public library. This probably goes without saying, but using the library works well for us. Besides browsing the shelves, I also take advantage of the library's website which allows us to search for and put a hold on books I know they will enjoy reading.

2) Sign up at PaperBackSwap.com. While we do not get rid of many books, there are occasions when we go through our bookshelves and find those that probably won’t be read or referenced again. I list these for free on PaperBackSwap and receive a credit when someone requests one of my books. I can then use those credits to get books for us.

3) Shop used bookstores. We have a used bookstore nearby that has a weekly dollar day. Every book that is $5.00 or less can be purchased for only $1.00 on those days. Since the selection changes frequently, the girls and I have fun browsing around for something new. Often this type of bookstore also allows you to trade-in your own used books and receive store credit.

4) Look around at yard sales and thrift stores. At either of these, you can usually find used or even new books for a very low price.

5) Visit library-sponsored book sales. Our local libraries have large book sales a couple of times a year. Not only can you snag a great deal, but you’re also supporting the libraries you regularly use, which will benefit you in the future.

Hope these tips allow you to find some good books for little money! If you have other resources for getting books inexpensively, please share.

11 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love library book sales. You can find the ones in your local area by checking out booksalefinder.com. We love to read as well, so finding the cheapest way to do it is helpful!

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great ideas! Our family loves libraries. Including a link to paper back swap would have been nice, but I'll find it. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! There was a small icon for paperbackswap at the bottom of the post, but you’re right – I should have included it up in the text. Hope you’re able to find it online and that it proves to be a good resource for you. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! We really use our library a lot! If we end up checking out the same book several time or renewing it several times we try to find it used!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way for bloggers to get free books is to become a book reviewer. Read some book blogs and you'll see programs others are involved with--but there are a lot of people out there who will provide review copies to bloggers with established readerships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a book addict (mostly childrens and homeschooling)....so I LOVE book sales, thrift stores and yardsales for finding books at a great price!
    Will check out that paper back swap too

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Toni said, we keep track of the books we really like from the library and look for those used or on PBS! This was a great list of ideas, a few that I'd forgotten, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas! The library is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love reading and I hope to pass that along to my kids! I have about 400 book that I own!! We have a used bookstore here, and it is so nice to be able to trade in books, and buy cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our church also has a library, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post! My kids and I love to read, and we usually bring home a huge stack of books every once in a while.

    Thanks to a thrift store right around the corner, my boys have tons of books. At 40 cents per piece, it is just a deal that cannot be beat. Last time I went to check I was lucky to snag up a lot of science/animal books that had been dropped off.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!