Monday, May 11, 2009

Pasta with Chicken and Basil

Since I recently posted about growing basil again this year, I thought I would share how I used my first "harvest" for supper tonight. This is one of our favorite recipes that incorporates basil - and it's pasta, which makes it a hit with the girls!


Pasta with Chicken and Basil

6 ounces dried linguine, fettuccine or plain penne pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
Finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pan; keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 15 seconds. Add chicken and salt; cook for 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently.

Add chicken mixture to the hot pasta along with the tomato and basil. Add remaining oil to coat lightly. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and fresh pepper.

I usually use fettucine pasta and serve with a vegetable and toasted french bread. There's nothing like the smell of freshly chopped basil!

This post is linked to



15 comments:

  1. Sounds good. My daughter, Grace, loves pasta and chicken. So, this will be a winner with her and me too! Thanks for the TMTT link and post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds simple, light and tasty -- perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious! I'm going to give this a try - I love growing my own Basil, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I have never cooked with fresh basil before, but I am bound and determined to grow it this year. Hopefully we both get a bumper crop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so easy, and sounds delicious! I will have to try this....even though I'm not growing my own basil. I might put that on the list to grow next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds scrumptious : ). Growing basil! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have an herb garden with parsley, rosemary, oregano and basil and I must agree fresh herbs make dishes so much better. your pasta dish is making me hungry, sounds yummy.

    Check out my MSM post at http://www.pbandsmellysdad.com/2009/05/make-something-monday-no-pudge-fat-free.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grow basil every year from seed in a deck pot...and throw it into almost everything! Love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delish especially with fresh basil! I'd love to grow some Italian herbs, but haven't attempted yet. DD is attempting mint, so we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! I love my fresh basil as well, I use it as often as possible! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I need more ways to use my basil and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That looks really good.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Basil is a favorite here. Love this classic recipe. If you want, I have just posted a recipe link on Momtrends. You can post a favorite here:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-feasts.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!