Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Are You Pondering In Your Heart?

The fifth in my list of five favorite Bible verses related to parenting is Luke 2:19: "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."

What great and wonderful things Mary had to ponder! Her baby was Jesus, the Son of God Himself. How full her heart and mind must have been with all that had taken place.

As a mother, I ask myself, what types of things do I ponder in my heart, especially as it relates to our children? I want to think about those things that have eternal value, considering the spiritual condition of my children and their personal relationship with Christ. I want to weigh the words they speak and the attitudes they display that I might seek to train them to live rightly before God.

Beyond that, I want to ponder the beautiful treasures with which I have been blessed. I want to take each day, each stage, each age and see the good in it, enjoy it to its fullest. We will not pass this way again, these lovely young ladies or I. May I soak up these moments to keep in my heart and mind, to recall in later days with joy and pleasure.

photo courtesy public domain pictures

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written... I love how you wrote that you want to enjoy the stage because you will not pass through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true that we won't pass this way again. Thank you for reminding me to soak it all up. The funny thing is that I just got home from the beach and don't want to wash my pants yet to remove the sand. I kinda like it there. It's hard to let go sometimes, so we hang on.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!