Monday, August 17, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

While I shared a muffin recipe last week, this one was so good I had to pass it on!

As you know from my recent series on healthier eating, I am trying to prepare better foods for our family. Admittedly, these muffins have chocolate chips and brown sugar, but the lack of white sugar and the fact that oats are included make me feel that they're at least a step in the right direction! I was out of wheat flour, but next time I hope to try them with half white/half wheat flour. I also thought of substituting applesauce for the oil.

Made according to the recipe below, they had a great texture and taste and were not overly sweet. I know these will become one of our go-to muffins for breakfast and snacks.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/4 cup oats
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Combine oats and milk; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir egg, oil, brown sugar and chocolate chips into oat mixture; add vanilla. Combine three dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the liquid mixture; stir until moistened. Use paper liners or cooking spray in a 12-cup muffin pan. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in a 4oo degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Find other great recipes at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Hoosier Homemade Cupcake Tuesday, Family Recipe Friday, Food on Friday, Foodie Friday and Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.

17 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I've got cookies on our counter right now, but when those are gone, think I'll try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super yummy; I'm definitely gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these sound delicious to me!! love the oats -- they are my favorite, especially in muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These muffins sound really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this...it sounds great! :) I love chocolate chip anything. Visiting from Jen's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love oatmeal cookies and oatmeal muffins. This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great muffin recipe to add to my collection! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make a lot of muffins for my Sunday School Class. I will definitely give this one a try! Thanks for sharing it!

    Many blessings and Happy Cookin'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love muffins, especially healthy-fied ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum. My family is going to gobble these up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, these are my thoughts about making these little gems a little healthier - I wouldn't mess with the oil. You don't have much at all and baked goods need some oil. Maybe go down to 1/4 cup OR if you wanted to be nit-picky do half oil, half applesauce. In the end I don't see much difference. You only have one egg which is fine. I love whole grains whenever I can add them in - have you thought about using more oats (maybe grind them in a clean coffee grinder) and subbing that for some of the white flour?

    With that said, this looks like the perfect submission for my new blog carnival that starts on August 31st - Slightly Indulgent Mondays - fabulous food a little bit healthier. I'd love for you to participate & there will be weekly prizes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy making muffins for my two little grands as muffins are just the right size for their little hands and tummy. I also like that there is no white sugar. I posted today about cooking school and the chef told us to sub 1/3 ww flour when the recipe calls for 1 cup of white (1/3 WW and 2/3 white) She said not to sub more in regular recipes that call for all white flour. They also sell a white color WW flour for those kids who will not eat WW because of the color. Hope this helps you too.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stopped by from Cupcake Tuesday. :-) Thanks for sharing your recipe. Mine is up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these muffins!They totaly rock for life.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!