Friday, November 6, 2009

Cooking a Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker

After reading the posts here, here, and here, I decided that cooking a whole chicken in a slow cooker must be the bloggy "in-thing" to do. Well, figuring I would join the crowd, I bought a whole chicken at Publix for $.99/lb and brought it home.

This actually turned out to be a very simple process! I removed the bag of innards, rinsed the chicken and patted it dry. I sprinkled it inside and out with a bit of seasoned salt and pepper, then placed it in the crock pot on top of some onions, carrots and garlic I had chopped up.

I put the top on, turned the crock pot on low for nine hours, and returned home from my daughter's soccer practice that evening to a wonderful aroma!

We ate the chicken with some rice and a green bean casserole for supper. Once the carcass had cooled, I pulled all the leftover meat off of the bones and stored it in the refrigerator to use in a chicken pot pie the following night.

I returned the bones to the slow cooker, which still held the liquid and vegetables, and put the whole crock pot in the refrigerator. The next morning, I followed Gayle's advice and added enough water to the crock pot to make it three quarters full. I turned it on high for about six hours, then turned it off and allowed it cool for a few minutes.

I set my colander into a large bowl and drained all the liquid off. The bowl went into the refrigerator to cool and, after several hours, the fat had solidified and I was able to skim it off the top. I was left with almost twelve cups of chicken broth, most of which I froze to use later.

I thought that this project was definitely worth the small amount of time and effort that it took and, from now on, I will be watching my sales flyers to find a great price on whole chickens!

Find more frugal ideas by visiting Frugal Friday hosted by Life as Mom.


  1. I've cooked two whole chickens since I've joined the bloggy world. It is a simple process and taste SO good. I got three different meals out of one chicken.

  2. I've seen posts like this before. I've done chicken pieces in a crock pot but never a whole chicken. So glad to see it works, I'll have to give it a try.


I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!

If you'd like to receive new posts by e-mail, subscribe here.