Below is a list of ten simple verses you can begin teaching your child during their early childhood years.
- Ephesians 6:1. "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." Learning to obey his parents is a child's primary responsibility and here is the Biblical basis for it.
- Genesis 1:1. "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Children are entranced by nature in all its forms and this verse opens up opportunities to tell them about our Creator.
- Psalm 56:3. "What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee." Fear can rob our children of peace, but learning to trust God for safety and protection is an enduring blessing.
- Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." A child can begin to understand the power that Christ gives as we rely on Him.
- Romans 10:13. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." As simple as the plan of salvation can get.
- I John 4:19. "We love Him, because He first loved us." An initial introduction to God's great love for us.
- Psalm 119:105. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Relying on God's Word for direction can save a child from many mistakes.
- Acts 16:31. "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Another basic verse on salvation.
- Proverbs 20:11. "Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right." From this, a child can learn that his reputation is developed at a young age.
- Psalm 34:13. "Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile." Here we can begin instruction on self-control in the area of speech.
Do you have a set time for teaching your children Bible verses? What other references would you add to the list?