While I realize that we have a LONG way to go, there are already some things I'm enjoying about homeschooling.
- Having Bible time together. We begin each day by practicing a memory verse, discussing portions from a curriculum written for young girls, and praying.
- Increased interest in Science. While my ten-year-old has long been a history buff, both of our daughters have a new-found attraction to Science.
- Creative uses of free time. With more free time in the afternoons, the girls have spent time reading, created a nature corner outside, and put on a talent show for me that included art, piano playing and recitations.
- Reading aloud together. While we already read aloud together at bedtime, I have added the practice to another part of our day. I remembered reading that Jessica at Life as Mom reads aloud to her children at lunchtime - after she is done eating and while her children are finishing up. This has proven to be an entertaining addition to our routine! For this particular reading time, I am trying to select books that our daughters may not choose for themselves. We are currently reading through Behind Rebel Lines.
- Serving different lunches. I can offer a little more variety than just typical lunch box fare and don't have to consider the logistics of keeping food either hot or cold. On different days we've had homemade pizza, homemade cheese fries, roasted potatoes - and plenty of leftovers!
- Working together on homemaking skills. Since we are not doing homework in the late afternoon, I have opportunities to let our daughters help me prepare supper or do other kitchen-related tasks.