Since I desire that our daughters have a vision for reaching out to others, I need a plan to develop that compassionate spirit in all of us. For 2012, we are going to focus on one "others-oriented" project each month. I hope that once we begin we will do even more than we have planned, but at least this will give us a place to start.
Here's my list in random order.
1. Write a letter to a missionary family and include a small monetary gift to support their ministry.
2. Share our faith in some way at least once a week for four weeks by giving out a tract, inviting someone to church, etc.
3. Take flowers to an elderly couple or a widow in our church.
4. Write two thank you notes to military personnel, one active duty and one veteran.
5. Save our change and any other "extra" money for a month and send it to a Bible-based children's home in Florida.
6. Send a care package to a college student.
7. Make cards and mail them to each grandparent.
8. Collect items for a local animal shelter.
9. Take a meal to a new mother or a family that's struggling with illness.
10. Give a note and small gift to our pastor.
11. Anonymously pay for someone's meal at a restaurant.
12. Visit someone in the hospital or assisted-living facility.
At the end of each month, I'll let you know which project we completed. If you have additional ideas for "others-oriented" activities that we could do with our children, please share them in the comments.