Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cooking Class, Take Two


While  talking to another mother recently, she shared how her eleven-year-old daughter had made pancakes for breakfast on Mother's Day.  It convicted me about how lax I've become in following the Cooking Class I planned for our daughters this year.

Since we've finished our school year, I determined that I would get the girls into the kitchen this summer.  Yesterday, my eleven-year-old made our usual Tuesday morning breakfast of fluffy pancakes with minimal supervision.  Then my nine-year-old did a great job on her first attempt at making grilled cheese for lunch.

Today, our nine-year-old made these Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins.  I like that these treats come in a small size and our girls enjoy eating them as a snack or with breakfast.

Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream sugar and oil or butter until fluffy.  Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix well.  Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Gradually add to liquid mixture, mixing well.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into each greased or paper-lined mini-muffin cup.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until muffins test done.  Cool slightly in pan before removing.

I hope my motivation for helping our daughters become more independent in the kitchen will last!

Have your kids been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!