Monday, November 26, 2012

No Higher Calling


Dear Lord, I do not ask that Thou shouldst give me some high work of Thine,
Some noble calling or some wondrous task.
Give me a little hand to hold in mine;
Give me a little child to point the way
Over the strange, sweet path that leads to Thee;
Give me a little voice to teach to pray;
Give me two shining eyes Thy face to see.
The only crown I ask, dear Lord, to wear is this -
I do not ask that I should ever stand among the wise,
The worthy, or the great.
I only ask that softly, hand in hand,
A child and I may enter at the gate.
~Author Unknown

What an awesome calling is ours as parents - to introduce the love of God into the hearts of our children, to develop in their minds a reverence for Him, to instruct them in His ways, and to show them from the Bible God's plan of salvation. May we daily recognize the importance of the impact we have on these eternal souls entrusted to our care.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem! And it is an awesome calling, and I really feel for people who think that raising children is a second-class job.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!