Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One of Those Days

Sometimes you know that it's just one of those days.

I've noticed that often it's right after we've had a really good day - like Monday.  Both children flew through school, I got lots of housework done, enjoyed my fifteen minutes of reading time, and even worked on a long-term project.  Then the three of us spent an hour and a half in the afternoon decorating the tree and putting up the rest of the Christmas decorations.  All in all, a very nice day.


Then came Tuesday. One daughter wasn't feeling well and the other one was emotional and mopey.  I wasn't very motivated. Then, due to rain, our plans for the evening totally changed - which also meant I had to rearrange my supper plans. At one point, my nine-year-old called it an "up-and-down, sad-and-happy day!"

About halfway through the day, I realized that this was just one of those days.  Once I came to grips with that fact, I lowered my expectations for the rest of the day.  I also had to adjust my attitude and decided to accept things as they came. I knew that taking a minute to pray or meditating on a Bible verse could be key. We got through the day with a few extra hugs and a few less chores accomplished than normal.

What's the most important thing about having "one of those days?"  My attitude.  I can respond in frustration or I can accept that the day may not be going the way I planned, but I can be loving and gracious anyway.  It will be better for me and everyone around me!

How do you adjust when you're having one of those days?