Friday, January 25, 2013

Four Simple Ways to Show Love to My Husband


Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle. ~Amy Bloom

What a blessing it can be to spend a lifetime married to the man you love.  I want the years that my husband and I share to be filled with love and appreciation for one another. 

As we walk this path of life together, I am finding there are certain actions I can take that make our days together even sweeter.  Every husband will have different needs, but these are ways that I can show love to my husband.

  • Give him my full attention when he's talking to me.  Rather than being distracted by the book I'm reading or the e-mails I'm answering, I need to focus on him and listen to what he's communicating.
  • Tell him - often - how much I admire him.  By choosing a character quality, specific skill, or helpful habit he has and verbally expressing (or writing a note about) my appreciation of it, I will build him up and encourage him. 
  • Do the little things without complaining.  Rather than remarking on what needs to be done, I can simply put his things away, clean up any messes, and finish any tasks without ever saying a word.
  • Give him peace and quiet when he needs it.  If he's trying to relax, I can send the children to play in another room, refrain from vacuuming in the surrounding areas, and wait until later to discuss important issues.

My husband and I have been married for over twenty-one years and I'm looking forward to the rest of my lifetime with him!

In what other ways can you show your husband you love him?

2 comments:

  1. These are so good! The big ones in our house are:
    1) Praise him *to others*. I think it's so easy for women - esp. SAHMs who often feel overworked & underappreciated - to vent about their irritating/lazy/etc. husbands to their girlfriends. I love a good vent, myself, (totally not trying to be a hypocrite! :-D) but I find my love & appreciation for him grows as I openly praise the good things he's done to others. So much healthier than focusing on his shortcomings, (of which we ALL have a few! :-P I don't want him focusing on MINE! :-D)
    2) Meet little needs. Example: JB always wants us to have eggs in the fridge, even when he doesn't use them every week. When we were in rough financial times, I wouldn't buy them *unless he asked*, b/c it seemed like a waste; but that drove him nuts, b/c he saw it not as me trying to save money, but as me not caring about him. Silly, but true!!! Who knew something as little as $1.60 worth of eggs would mean so much to a man? Yep, it's those little things. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both great points! It is important to praise our husband to others - and even better if they hear us doing it! ;)

      I hadn't thought about the significance of meeting their "little" needs, but it truly is a way we can show them our love. Like you mentioned, keeping certain items that they like in the house shows our husbands that we care about them.

      Delete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!