Even though our daughters read many books on their own, we all enjoy the time that we spend reading aloud together.
Since we started homeschooling in the fall of 2011, I've been reading aloud to the girls at lunch time. We are currently finishing Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, then we will move on to the following books.
1. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
2. The Borrowers by Mary Norton
3. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
4. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
5. Penrod and Sam by Booth Tarkington
6. Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt
7. With Lee in Virginia by G.A. Henty
Just before the girls go to bed, we read two books - a fiction story and a Christian book (a devotional, missionary biography or autobiography, etc.) We are currently working our way through the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace and have four more books to finish. For our second book, we are reading Adoniram Judson: Bound for Burma by Janet and Geoff Benge. It is from the Benge's series Christian Heroes: Then and Now. We have read several of these biographies and enjoy them.
I haven't read any of the books on our list for this year, so if you have, please let me know how you liked them!