Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What Makes A Happy Home?


I love being at home.

While I enjoy the actual house in which we live, it's not just the walls surrounding us that make this our home.  We are surrounded by books that encourage and motivate us; peaceful, scenic pictures; photos of family and places we've visited. There are numerous windows that fill the rooms with sunlight, and sometimes music playing softly in the background.  It's a happy place for me and I want to make it so for my family.

One of the most important ways I can create a happy atmosphere in our home is to have a right attitude.  No matter how attractive our surroundings, how plush the sofa cushions or how clean the carpet, if I am grumpy or "out of sorts," our home will not be pleasant for anyone.

Seeing those in my family as people I can serve for Jesus makes a huge difference in my attitude. The tasks that I do - from folding laundry to scrubbing the shower to cooking supper - are not just acts of service for my family, but beyond that are done for the Lord. 

As Colossians 3:17 reminds me, "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." This doesn't just apply to the moments I spend studying the Bible with our daughters or to a ministry I may serve in at our church.  "Whatsoever ye do" covers the mundane, daily tasks, like packing my husband's lunch, vacuuming crumbs off the floor, or helping my children put away their toys.

With God's help, my attitude can be one of service and selflessness, and our home can be a place of peace and happiness for my family.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo, AMEN!!!! What a GREAT reminder!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how our attitudes as wives and mothers set the mood for our houses. We need to remember this; thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this...I needed to read this reminder this morning :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your comments and welcome your questions and suggestions. Thanks for visiting my blog!